PMA Certification Overview
The purpose of the PMA Certification Program is to advance the profession of comprehensive teaching of Pilates by establishing, maintaining, and promoting professional standards, and by awarding the title of PMA Certified Pilates Teacher (PMA® -CPT) to the comprehensively trained Pilates teacher who has provided evidence that he or she meets accepted professional standards.
The exam is available to any Pilates teacher regardless of their Pilates training background who meets the following eligibility requirements:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Provide verification of Pilates teacher-training proficiency using as a basis, 450 hours of training on mat and all apparatus minimally to include: Reformer, Trapeze Table, Wunda Chair, Ladder Barrel, Spine Corrector, and Magic Circle.
Additional apparatuses invented by Joseph Pilates but not required for eligibility: High Chair, Guillotine Tower, Bean Bag, Finger Corrector, Toe Corrector, Foot Corrector, Pinwheel, Ped-o-Pull, Head Harness, Airplane Board, 2 x 4, Iron Shoe, and more.
NOTE: No applicant for PMA certification will be denied on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Candidates are expected to provide truthful and complete information.
Currently, the exam is available in two formats:
- At testing centers on a computer (Internet Based Testing, IBT)
- Paper and Pencil version at events scheduled annually
- The exam fee is $295 ($250.75 for PMA Members); this fee covers application processing, exam administration at an IBT center or paper and pencil event, and the first two years of certification.
- The fee must be paid electronically in US dollars. The application fee is non-refundable.
- Note: Exam administration at testing centers outside the US and Canada require an additional $150 international testing fee.
- Prior to expiration date of certificate: $105.00 (PMA Members $94.50)
- Up to six (6) months after expiration date of certificate: $180.00 (PMA members $169.50)